Home Remedies for Tinnitus (Ringing in the Ears)
Almost everyone at one time go through the experience of brief periods of mild ringing or hearing any other sounds in the ear. This is called as tinnitus. Tinnitus means that sizzling or ringing of sounds in the ears which can be constant and can appear in both ears.
The main causes might be the age-related hearing loss, injury or infection is formed in ears, exposure to the loud noise, high altitudes, infections in upper respiratory tract, earwax blockage, vitamin and mineral deficiencies, ear bone changes and diseases such as low and high blood pressure, diabetes and disorders of circulatory system.
It is completely an annoying condition and can interfere with daily activities as a person will continuously feel difficulty in hearing, working, sleeping and concentrating. It is not so easy to find out the exact cause behind the tinnitus but you can avoid the symptoms and make yourself relief by using some natural home remedies to reduce the sensations of ringing or hearing any strange sounds in your ears. These remedies are given below and are really effective for the purpose of reducing the problem.
1. Ginkgo Biloba
Ginkgo biloba is very effective remedy for tinnitus as it plays an important key role in improving the blood circulation in your body which in turn helps in the proper ear functioning by reducing the ringing sounds. This herb contains antibacterial and antifungal properties which reduce the ear infections contributing to the tinnitus.
To treat the tinnitus with ginkgo biloba, you would have to take out the extract of ginkgo biloba that you can easily get from the herbal drug stores. Take 120 to 240 mg of extract that contains 24 to 32 percent flavonoids and 12 percent terpenoids.
Take it daily by dividing it in three or four doses. You should use it for at least six weeks to get positive results. Consult your doctor before starting the treatment because this herb can interact with the certain medications.
Note: This remedy not recommended for children.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is antifungal and anti-inflammatory agent and can be used in treating the tinnitus. It actually reduces the ear infections and balances the alkaline level in the body.
Mix two tsp of apple cider vinegar with a little honey in a glass of water.
Drink the solution three times daily until you can’t stop hearing the ringing sensations.
3. Holy Basil
Holy basil is another useful remedy to reduce the infections caused by the tinnitus. It has antibacterial properties which readily help to kill the bacteria that may enter the earwax and cause problem. This herb will definitely give you relief from the ear pain.
- Take a handful of basil leaves and put it in a blender to make a paste.
- Put the paste on a strainer and press with a spoon in order to extract the juice.
- Slightly warm the juice.
- By the help of a dropper, put three drops of it in the affected ear.
- Repeat the remedy twice daily for at least four days.
Onions contains antibacterial and medicinal properties which help in treating the ear infections causing tinnitus.
- Take one small onion and chop it into small pieces.
- Microwave the onions for two minutes.
- Allow it to cool then strain the juice properly.
- Now put three drops of this juice into the infected ear.
- Leave it in the ear for at least five minutes then turn your head to let the juice drain out.
- Do this few times a week.
Garlic is used to treat the tinnitus caused due to high altitudes or cold weather. It helps in eliminating the inflammation and improves blood circulations as well. It has antibacterial properties which reduces infection that is contributing with the problem.
- Take one tbsp. of sesame oil and fry two crushed garlic cloves in it.
- Strain it and let it cool at temperature, now put three drops of this oil into the ear canal.
- Do this remedy daily before going to sleep at night and continue for about one week.
6. Saline Solution
Saline solution helps in opening the blocked nasal passages or excessive fluid in the sinuses due to which tinnitus is happened.
- In two cups of warm water, add one tsp of salt and glycerin to make a homemade saline solution.
- Use a nasal spray bottle to inject this solution into both nostrils until it drains out into the back of your throat.
- Spray the solution into your throat as well.
- Follow this remedy three times a day.
Ginger also cures the nasal activity including tinnitus. Ginger contains medicinal and healing properties and improves the blood circulation, get rid of pathogens and fight against free redicals. It also has aspirin like properties which reduce the pain related to the tinnitus.
- In a cup of hot water, add one-half tsp of freshly grated ginger. Allow it to steep for at least 10 minutes then strain the solution. Add a little honey. Drink this herbal tea for three times a day to ease the tinnitus symptoms.
- Another option is to chew the raw ginger slices. Chewing eventually helps in relieving the pressure in the ear that causes tinnitus.
8. Mustard Oil
Mustard oil is another amazing remedy for tinnitus. It is a natural rubefacient, mustard oil increases the blood circulation as it contains antibacterial and antifungal properties which treats the ear infections. Mustard oil also tends to boost the immune system to protect against the further infections and removes the earwax.
- Take little quantity of mustard oil and slightly warm it in a microwave.
- Now put few drops of warm mustard oil directly into the affected ear.
- Allow the oil to sit for 10 minutes.
- Tilt your head to the other side so the oil drains out of the ear.
- Now the earwax becomes soft, remove it using an ear bud.
- Repeat the procedure once daily for few days.
Pumpkin is rich in vitamin A and it helps in getting rid of tinnitus. It covers the deficiency of vitamin A which is the leading cause of many ear problems, including tinnitus.
Vitamin A is essential for the proper functioning of the cochlea, inner ear which is responsible for transmission of the sounds.
You would simply have to include the pumpkin in your salad or soup, or have it steamed, grilled, stuffed, stir-fried or use it in baked dishes.
Try to add pineapple in your diet as it reduces the tinnitus. Pineapple lessens the inflammation throughout the body because an enzyme is found in pineapple called bromelain plus It contains various vitamins.
Eat fresh pineapple at regular intervals throughout the day to reduce inflammation. You can also have fresh pineapple juice.
- Use a warm compress to relieve the itching and pain.
- Cut or stop drinking alcohol.
- Stop smoking.
- Limit the use of aspirin.
- Exercise regularly.
- Avoid exposure to loud noises.
- Practice relaxation techniques like meditation or yoga.
- Play music when you are falling asleep